Love Yourself - Kamal Ravikant

Love Yourself  Like your Life Depends On It


What is this about?

Loving yourself. Same thing your mom told you, same thing self-help books repeat enough times to be cliché. But there is a difference. It's not lip service. It's not a fire and forget type approach. It's something I learned from within myself, something I believe saved me. And more than that, the way I set about to do it. Most of it, simple enough to be idiotic. But in simplicity lies truth. In simplicity lies power.

As a wise friend likes to remind me, this is a practice. You don't go to the gym once and consider yourself done. Same here. Meditation is a practice. Working out is a practice. Loving yourself, perhaps the most important of all, is a practice.

The truth is to love yourself with the same intensity you would use to pull yourself up if you were hanging off a cliff with your fingers. As if your life depended upon it. Once you get going, it's not hard to do. Just takes commitment and I'll share how I did it.

It's been transformative for me. I know it will be transformative for you as well.


The Practice

I've tried to break down exactly what I did that worked.  And how one can replicate it.  Comes down to three things:


  1. Mental Loop: The one thought running constantly through one's mind must be "I love myself.  I love myself.  I love myself."
  2. A Meditation : Meditate 10 minutes daily using a 110Hz sound and chant  "I love myself.  I love myself.  I love myself."
  3. One Question : Do you love your self truly? Yes? Then never ever demean yourself; never ever debase yourself in negativity. Look positively at yourself and your life; open to all possibilities of a great life!


All three gently return me to self-love.  That's the beauty of this practice.  It's simple, it's practical, and the results are far greater than you could imagine.

After all, if you loved yourself truly and deeply, would you limit your life to what you previously thought possible?  Nope.  You'd blow your own socks off.

There is one requirement.  A fierce commitment to loving yourself.  This, I'm afraid, can't be skipped.  What if you don't believe that you love or, heck, even like yourself?  Doesn't matter.  If you have to build up to it, that's ok.  The practice works in a way the mind is designed to function.  The mind has no choice but to adapt and respond.

Just remain open to the possibility of loving yourself.  The rest is easy.

***


"Greatest Love Of All"

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody's searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs
A lonely place to be
And so I learned to depend on me

[Chorus:]
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I'll live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

[Chorus]

And if, by chance, that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love

****

LIFE IS A STATE OF MIND